6/6/07

Running - No Pain, No Gain...

OK... First a little shout out to all my Flyer Bloggers out there whom I have found and appreciate now for joining the vast network of Blogging...Where have I been all these years? But then again, running has consumed my life, where running on roads and knowing every hill in Central Park is more familiar than seeing my own parents.

There is a saying in all sports where there is NO PAIN, THERE IS NO GAIN. HA...tell that to me and my other flyer buddies that are injured, desperately wanting to enjoy one mile of sunshine, heat or sweat...but instead, we are injured. Subdued by injuries that range from IT Band Issues (or Incredible Torture Band - Running Chronicles) to Plantar Fasciitis to even what I may have, Achilles Tendinitis. These are all painful injuries that take quite an amounted time to recover from. Although like most runners (hemm, me included) we seem to avoid these issues and stick with our program and run, even though we know we may injure our issues even more or even make our issues worse. We are determined, we are stubborn and we just love running.

We think the saying of NO PAIN, NO GAIN is talking about the injuries, but really of essence, we don't listen to our bodies and don't take time off. (I on the other hand had just recently ran 2 marathons in a 1-1/2 month, both trying to qualify for my marathon qualification time) I now learn by having this injury will sideline for at least a month to recover & recuperate. But I must learn to take care of myself in learning to stretch, ice, heat and massage my body in certain locations and let it heal from the beating down gantlet of training.

Usually to the adamant exercisers will learn that the term NO PAIN, NO GAIN means the effects of soreness and "feeling the burn" sensations after a long run or exercise. Although to an average runner, I feel that when you choose to do a marathon and run a 26.2 miler, you will get the marathon shuffle as I call it later on in the day afterwards. I this strong feeling that Marathoners are crazy people. They really like pain, maybe it's the fact that they love getting this runner's HIGH after some long runs where you actually feel dizzy or in a "daze" look, but I feel that marathon runners are completely nutty people...We're all adicted to the feat of completion of the 26.2.

So...the term NO PAIN, NO GAIN... to some this does exist in their vocabulary and they actually understand the term, to others it's just jibberish and words that flow in one ear and out the other...and to others, it's a feeling, it's a term and it's the way of life...

To all my injured foke, recover quickly and recouperate and when you are back, stay healthy...

1 comment:

brunettechicagogal said...

Oh, so YOU are Trakmaniak! Welcome to the world of blogging, or as some call it "the blogosphere." It can be addictive -- but eventually you'll find longer lapses between blog posts.

You really should be careful of that injury. Yeah, you're young and all that jazz, but you can do some longer-term damage if you aren't careful. Coach Yates' article in the newest Flyer newsletter is really on top of the injury issue.

Sigh. Maybe I'll be back out there for occasional runs by summer's end.