6/23/07

Running - Showing some PRIDE…

The thought had crossed my mind to buy a colorful rainbow bandana to show my Gay Pride. Of course…but being straight, I once had a gay roommate back in college and lived perfectly fine. Knowing many people who had been unsure about their sexuality, I have grown to accept many different people, no matter what race, color or “weirdness”. Of course, it really doesn’t surprise me if people would think that I am weird, since after all, I call myself the Crazy Asian now…and it was Gay Pride week in NYC.

Anyways, the Front Runner running club had put on a 5 mile Lesbian and Gay Pride Run, which I had been taking a month off from running races and had chosen to take pictures of my teammates as well…although, waking up at 8am to get going by 8:30am and run up to Central Park from 13th Street and make it to some prime real estate Kodak moment Central Park snapshot places before the race that starts at 9am… well I just cut it close, but secured a nice spot to cheer and take pictures.

While taking pictures on first the East Side, then switching to the west side, I had witnessed women with a baby carriage who was probably focusing on the runners in the race. She had wanted to cross the pedestrian pathway to the other side, although she was in the BULK of the running mass and started to run across. A Biker at the same time did not see the women with the baby carriage…and well…BANG! The rider went over his steering wheel, concerned about the baby in the baby carriage. The mother, concerned first for her baby, then concerned and apologetic to the biker about not seeing him...it was madness. Many of the runners actually stopped to see if they had been ok, offered help and continued on their way. It was pure madness and for about 2 minutes, the baby didn’t cry, I’m guessing he or she was in shock, then finally a baby cry…it was rather scary actually.

So that was the whole event drama for the day. But I had found out that the running club of the Front Runners had been either all gay or lesbian runners. It made me wonder, what happens if you are just picking a running team out of the blue, and you happen to choose the Front Runners as a team you want to run for. But if you are straight, would they accept you? I mean I had randomly chosen the Flyers as my running team, it was the Flyers or Central Park…and Central Park had wanted my “quality times”. I had only run like my first half marathon…Boy! That was long ago…

Anyways, the rest of the day evolved into running with the new flyer run, moving on from the trot to a full out run with ST, another fast women flyer, who had been pushing a pace since she had not slept the night before…(story later to come)…and then from that, going home, haircut & food shopping in Chinatown, and then finally the dreaded: WORK…and that was my day.

But the next day after was the Gay Pride Parade which started at the bottom of Central Park (59th street) and ran all the way down to the West Village, which is basically the 1, 2 or 3’s of streets…59 streets of Gay Pride. It was amazing though the support of the crowd, the people, although seeing 3 guys with just their underwear on? Come now, I just wanted to join them in their skippies, but I had to go to work, yet again and that would not look good now…so on with all the love, the holding hands of same sexes and the true nature of Pride…

2 comments:

brunettechicagogal said...

Trakmaniak, did you get consent from those Flyers whose photos you posted on your blog? Some people are into their privacy, you know.

Trakmaniak said...

BCG - your right, I'm wrong. I should ask...or I should be more cautious... Thanks MOM!!!

geez, if your not going to give me a chance to take you out to dinner, then well...

nah...i still enjoy all your advise on everything that you can give me. I appreciate it...thanks!

how is that foot of yours?