6/5/07

Running - Vermont Marathon...Before & After...


OK...I had written this before to one of my friends describing in an e-mail about the big 26.2 miles of a marathon. It's the nature of the beast and when it comes down to it you just don't RUN 26.2 miles, you train for it. You live it for 3-4 months, you eat, sleep, breath and do it over and over again. It really consumes you to a level where it becomes your life, a ritual and a desire...


"...just get my race gear, worry about my 26.2 miles and REALLY...26.2 MILES! It's really something to get overwellmed about. I mean I really don't get nerveous before any race, but this race FREAKS ME OUT! there is something to it. I mean the distance, the amount of time that you are on your feet and it's just something that really puts you in perspective. I have great respect for anyone that does do a marathon, but there is some additive pressure that goes with it for me and that is the time. you are running against time. I have never really situated myself against this as much in any race, if I PR (personal Record) then I get a pr and my time drops, and If i don't then I don't...but there is another thing with Marathons...the feeling of mentally finishing...the training involved and the mind and thoughts that goes through your mind as you go through it. it's wild, but it's just pretty much undescribable..."

So...after the race:

SO...QUALIFIED FOR BOSTON! (which is all that had mattered...i mean...running a 3:05:11 - 107th overall, 99th out of all men, and ran an average of a 7:04 min/mile...& a 6 min PR...) it's an undescribable feeling...

The course was not as easy as I had though, it was rather hilly, but I mean we're running a marathon here! But really couldn't sleep before then (woke up like two times that night once at 2am and once at 4...finally woke up at 5:30 and couldn't get back to bed...) I ate 2 dinners that night, both pasta dinners. Ate 4 packets of GU during the extensions of the race (mile 12, mile 16, mile 20 and mile 22) which really helped in the end and made it...i'm going to the elite Boston Marathon. There are so many people that have helped make this happen and the support from friends, family and of course, my teammates from the NY Flyers. Thanks, you are my running family!

1 comment:

nyflygirl said...

Holy crap...you were snapping pictures the entire time and you BQed with time to spare? You are a rock star!! Ditch the camera and you'll get the sub-3 next time :)