6/22/07

Self Offenses vs. Own Offenses

Last night, I was out with one of my friends, (JK) a running buddy and non-flyer, for a drink after a long week to unwind. I had met up with them (her friend and her) whom had been drinking before me. After one drink for me, we decided to head on home. Both of them had been craving for sushi or some Asian fix, and at that point in the night were conjuring thoughts about pizza or any other restaurant that they have their eyes set on.
They were two drunk girls with the deadly night drunken’ munchies. JK and I parted with her friend as she was headed into the dreaded McWorld as we went into a local bodega near JK’s apartment. There JK had her fix still on Asian food and went to the freezer isle to take out one thing…and one thing only. Without saying a word, she said, “CAN YOU COOK THESE?” The first thing that came to my mind was, “What you need an Asian person to cook you those DUMPLINGS!” I found it really funny, not at all offensive, but brings a question to mind…

What are the limits to remarks of your own “kind”. Why is it that you, of your own nationality or color or race could call each other a racist remark, but those who are not, can not or seem to be offensive. Shouldn’t it be that if your own kind is saying these demoralizing or “offensive” slurs, remarks or racist acts is the same as everyone? How are you limiting the equality of that nature? I only ask this because I have seen multiple segments of 60 minutes and different scenarios of this nature being brought about when IMUS had been fired from his job.

JK laughed hysterically as our drunken tirade went back to her apartment and slowly set the cooker to relieve her Asian fix. There she started watching The Daily Show, and showed me the clips of John Stewart ratting out Jewish remarks…She of course was Jewish and found everything to be quite hilarious since after all what comes around goes around. After devouring the dumplings, it was WAY past m bedtime for one night and the long weekend of work soon to come as well…

2 comments:

Trakmaniak said...

Jennifer said...
I hope the next time you take a drunk girl home for an "Asian Fix" she has something other than dumplings in mind ;)

Trakmaniak said...

CollegeGirl said...
It's interesting to see the "other side" of you.