7/17/07

OH SHIT!

WARNING: If you are reading this while eating, you may want to stop reading or eating. This may contain graphic content that you may not want to read, so I warn you now. Or continue reading…Enjoy!

This may be my very first blog in which I warn people about reading before hand…wait scratch that, second. The first was probably my very own nudity picture of me being artistic way back when I was in college, oh wait, that wasn’t too far ago.

Ok…so I had been pondering about this blog for days while running, whether to put this in or not. I had been saying “no no no”, but well a recent conversation with one of my fellow friends, let’s call them RED, to make it seem like I really was talking to them about it, but maybe I was talking to myself? Anyways, let’s get down to business, shall we?

Port-o-Potties, peeing and ___? Care to venture a guess in the next P word that I will be talking about? Ok…going once, twice? Ok…so you had your chance to relieve yourself…(or rather leave and stop reading, but your still here reading now aren’t you?) Yes, POOP! There, I said it. I have been pondering about how runners relieve themselves before every race. Marathons, race day, any type of race, we wake up, poop and have it in our daily racing routine. RIGHT? Ok, if you don’t then well…your weird, because we all do it. Don’t be ashamed of it, we all are human now and we need to dispose of our daily waste by yup…POOP! There I said it again.

No but the real investigation was that there is a weird phenomena about runners that we get nervous or need to relieve ourselves, or we have it in our daily racing routine…or even I questioned that we all think that it makes us lighter so we can race faster. That or we just don’t want to stop during a race to poop or pee because it takes time away from our race time.

I mean seriously, what other sport have you played that you can think of that you had such a daily routine such as pooping before a game or race event or what not…maybe swimming (that was RED’s response), a Triathlon, Iron man or I donno? Certainly I had played many multi sports such as soccer, tennis, volleyball and others, these sports you really don’t think too much about it. I mean seriously people, why do you think we have so many port-o-potties before the race?

Do runners drink too much water? We think in our minds that if we pee or poop it all out of our bodies, it will make us lighter? Right? Is anyone with me on this one? Or am I just way too strange?

2 comments:

JohnnyGo said...

A worthy topic indeed.

First of all, there aren't many sports where you won't get a break every now and then if you need it. I mean, what would the point be of relieving yourself before a baseball game?

If you are about to start a Half Marathon, on the other hand, you need to get it done or wait an hour or two. That's pressure.

Of course, you could stop mid-race to go, but if you allow yourself that luxury, next thing you know you will be stopping for a sandwich along the way. It's a slippery slope...

brunettechicagogal said...

Oh, this is a good topic. One that my brother and I could talk about for days. And for more poop fun, read Jess's blog post: http://twentyonedayhabit.blogspot.com/2007/06/dinner-date-turned-disaster.html. It's a doozy.

I, for one, prefer to have my bladder and bowels emptied as completely as possible before I run a race, especially half marathons and marathons. No way do I want gastrointestinal distress to interfere, nor do I want to have to pull over to pee when I'm trying to PR.