9/1/08

"If you have a bad run, don't obsess about it. You're always going to have days when your legs feel dead." HEATHER HANSCOM, 2004 U.S. Women's Olympic Team
Not Edited:

I quickly glance at my at my watch and the band that reads, “a reason to hope.” I have 6.2 more miles to go, and I feel confident in finishing my first marathon! As I round the corner, tons of cheering people are clapping, but I’m starting to experience pain in my knees and hamstrings. I remind myself that this pain is only temporary, but my pride, my cause and my goal are forever.

An adoring crowd member cheers my name, and I am reminded that my name is on the shirt I am wearing. This shirt caries all the names of the people whom have donated and they will finish with me. But most importantly a shirt that bears my the name of my Grandmother, who since her diagnosis, struggles with the disease everyday of her life. This was “my reason and inspiration to hope”.

Since marathon training programs have started, for those of you who were unlucky and did not get into the New York City (NYC) Marathon. There is relief! There are still different ways to get in. The New York Road Runners offers free bibs for the charity programs to have people run for a cause. Charity programs have seemed to become more and more of a trend to help raise money for different non-profit organizations.

In many marathons these days you can see multiple amounts of people with different singlet’s on that are running for various charity groups. Other times you can see multiple amounts of ribbons, signs and imprinted inspirational words on the backs of their singlet have and pictures.

Running is very much an individual sport, although when you a running for someone there may be a greater meaning. Running for a cause may bring some extra motivation from get up each morning for a run to tough out those longer miles. Running for a charity may give you more discipline and inspiration during the race. It allows a person to feel like they are making a difference in helping find a cure faster.

Friendships from other teams may also grow in this process as well. With different running programs that offer training programs and group runs, these programs may help you initialize and broaden your running ties with other people than just NY Flyers. (but seriously, our group runs are better…) These connections may also allow you to share stories, have a deeper meaning toward running and even your personal life or even help heal a person from a grieving process. Running, talking and supporting always helps a person recover in the end to motivate and strive to succeed.

The NYRR has at least 37 different charitable programs that you can run for to gain acceptance in the New York City (NYC) Marathon. When you think that running a marathon is a feat by itself, try the next best thing. Run for a charity today in a marathon or any other race that is available. I certainly have…

Edited:
I glance quickly at my at my watch and the band that reads, “A reason to hope.” I have 6.2 more miles to go and I feel confident that I will finish my first marathon! As I round the corner, tons of cheering people are clapping, but I’m starting to experience pain in my knees and hamstrings. I remind myself that this pain is only temporary but my pride, my cause, and my goal are forever.

An adoring crowd member cheers “Go Brian!” and I am reminded that my name is on my shirt. This shirt caries the names of all the people who have donated; they will finish with me. But most importantly, the shirt bears the name of my grandmother who, since her diagnosis, struggles with Alzheimer's disease every day of her life. This is my “reason and inspiration to hope”.

Fall marathon training programs are well under way now. And even though we are only two months away from the New York City Marathon, there are still a few ways to get in! The NYRR offers acceptance to runners who raise money for non-profit organizations and run for a cause. But out of the almost 40 charitable programs that the NYRR supports, only a few slots remain. Be sure to sign up soon if you are interested.

Just take a look around. In most marathons these days you will see runners with singlets from various charity groups, in addition to ribbons, signs, and inspirational words and photos on the backs of their jerseys.

While running is very much an individual sport, when you are running for someone else there may be greater meaning. Running for a cause may bring you some extra motivation to get up for an early morning run or tough out those longer miles. Running for a cause may give you more discipline and inspiration during the race. And running for a cause may allow you to feel like you are making a difference in helping to find a cure.

Bonds with new teammates may grow in this process as well. Different charities offer training programs and group runs that can help you initialize friendships and broaden your running ties beyond the NY Flyers (but our group runs are better!) These connections may also allow you to share stories, listen to others, and even help heal a person during the grieving process. Running, talking, and support go a long way in helping a person recover, motivate, and strive to succeed.

Running a marathon is a feat by itself. But I urge you to try the next best thing. Run for a charity in a marathon or any other race that is available. I certainly have…

No comments: