2/6/09

The usual 10…

"Running is a thing worth doing not because of the future rewards it bestows, but because of how it feeds our bodies and minds and souls in the present." KEVIN NELSON, The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration

Going to the grocery store in the morning to beat the crowds I felt the wrath of the blistering cold. It was cold out and I had been contemplating on either running or taking a break. What is a break though? I know I seriously need to stop and realize that I need breaks!

But I went out anyways because I enjoy it and I wanted to see if my “kara” was out today. I got dressed and quickly made it out. I had to be back at my apartment by 2pm to go out to a job visit. I thought I had to work today at the Armory, but I went as my regular plans because I didn’t hear back from my employer (it’s a day to day thing, since my job went down to 4 days, I have been trying to find a part time job to make up my finances) I did my daily 10 miler, knowing that I didn’t want to do the piers and just run, be out there in the blistering cold and freeze to death.

I rounded out my run not exactly catching anyone this time around and going out in my normal fashion. I had been thinking about training harder and actually going out one race this year to see my potential. Training for a marathon, like hardcore training, in seeing what my muscles can handle and actually trying (tempo runs, speed work, etc) not the usual distance miles that I usually call training. It’s frustrating to know that you can put yourself under the 3 hour mark, although after each and every race, you feel the frustrations of how badly judged you ran. It’s the training involved and how badly you really want it…I guess I didn’t want it as much?
I ended my run at my office, picking up some stamps and chatting with a few people, then stopping by Jack Rabbits to pick up some Jelly Power Beans for GW for the race tomorrow (since they don’t have them up on the East side). Then stopping by Paragon Sports to check out if they still had a running shoe sale going on…Time to switch my shoes…lots of miles on these babies!


I finished the run with a final sprint down some avenues…still trying to keep it at speed work sprint drill, but finishing strong and fast in the end.

No comments: