10/19/08

A rising spirit…

"If you can train your mind for running, everything else will be easy." AMBY BURFOOT

I woke up this morning after a long night of waiting. Picking up my sister and going to the hospital to visit my grandfather for the second time that day was numbing. My sister just cries and cries, like waterworks, where she actually lost her contact. I could not watch, it’s a funny memory now, when you think about it, but it’s a lasting impression. My sister and E’s sister never got the last reactions of my grandfather that us, boys had. We eat dinner at my parent’s restaurant that night since my sister has not seen my parents in a long while and then we go home to rest up for another day…

Morning passes and we are woken up to a phone call summoning us to go to the hospital right away. My grandfather has been struggling with his breathe and now it is more apparent. Loss in feeling in his limbs, we only prolong the inevitable. The doctors come in and explains how the morphine that they are about to give will help him relax and breathe easier. It is not the normal doctors, it is not the normal nurses as well that we have seen and been greeted by each day.

Some will say that when you pass to the other side, you visit the very loved ones that you care so deeply about. We phoned our uncle who had been with my grandmother at the time and told him that his father, my grandfather had passed away at noon. He told us that our grandmother had a tear in her eye and I am guessing that it was my grandfather who had said good bye to my grandma.

I will forever remember that sunny beautiful Fall day where you can see the trees just change colors in the background. My grandfather’s breathe slowed down so much (E and I suspected that the morphine relaxed his body so much that he just gave up. He had no need to struggle anymore and he pretty much left peacefully. He slowed his breathe with every minute passing and then finally the very last one.

My mother cried in hysterics, she had lost her dad and I had lost my grandfather. You just remember all of the great memories that you have in your mind. The moments, funny or sad or anything that you have, you just find yourself alone. You wonder what types of family events are going to be lost without that person being there. For my family, Thanksgiving will not be the same without my grandfather, he was the one and only person year after year who cooks the turkey, roast beef, fried rice, chicken and other types of goodness that makes Thanksgiving for what it is. We will have to do something different this year and it will truly be different without him.

You realize a whole lot about yourself when someone of your loved one passes, you realize the great genes that you have that makes you, you and how that up keeping is held within your family. Family ties and different mannerisms of one word that signifies our upbringing and that is: RESPECT.

My grandfather was a great man…a tribute to him and what he had sacrificed to allow my family to be where they are today.

7 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

May he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Oh, B, I didn't know. I am just checking the blog now, I have a lot of catching up to do , but I see that your last few posts were about your grandfather's last days and now he is gone. I am so sorry for this loss and this sad time. I am sure that your grandfather was able to feel and enjoy his family's love til the very end. Hugs and tears, HEIDI

nyflygirl said...

hugs to you...my thoughts are with you and your family...

Laura said...

Brian, I'm very sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

runner26 said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a brave and courageous man your grandfather must have been. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

JohnnyGo said...

Hey Brian, very sorry for your loss. Your grandfather was very fortunate to have been so valued by you and your family.

Trakmaniak said...

Thanks all, even in the darkest days, I can see that I have great friends around me to cheer me up and fill my emotions. I appreciate that.

Thanks again for the kind words...

I'm going to need it this week...wake and funeral is this week: Tuesday and Wednesday...