12/3/08

Cappage...

"I'd rather run a gutsy race, pushing all the way and lose, than run a conservative race only for a win." ALBERTO SALAZAR


Scheduling my races for 2009, I usually get a pre-warm-up of which races I need to schedule for the 9 + 1 NYRR races to qualify for the NYC marathon. Usually though I predict the schedule out the entire year of NYRR races and place which race is on for which weekend...although this year is quite different. I was wondering why the NYRR had presented their entire race schedule so quickly in the year. I wondered if they were just getting each weekend ready or were they going to re-arrange races as they did last year in which I got totally screwed in the end by refunding me with the Brooklyn Half marathon?


As I was scheduling my race, Uptown Girl had messaged me saying 5,000 (end of text) I was wondering what 5,000 really meant? I had not read the link that she had sent to me, I finally realized what she had meant.


I also had information reguarding the Points Races for the year and I have to fullfil the 4 points races that is required with flyers to obtain an award. I also do the points races to challenge myself and see if anyone from my age group...although sometimes it's sparse, shows up, but I'm not in the top 5 at all for my team, so I don't score at all...

anyways...scheduled all my races for the year!


Central Park Races Set Runner Limits
By JOSHUA ROBINSON
Published: December 5, 2008


Despite increasing demand, road races in Central Park are going to be smaller next year.
The New York Road Runners, the group that organizes most road races in the park, said Friday that it would cap most of its fields at 5,000 runners. This year, 10 of 27 Road Runners events had fields of more than 5,000.


The group said it would also impose limits on its two biggest events, the New York City Marathon and the NYC Half-Marathon; those fields will be far bigger than 5,000, although the caps have not been determined. The marathon had more than 38,000 finishers this year.

Mary Wittenberg, president of the Road Runners and director of the marathon, said the restrictions were not prompted by any particular safety concern and had been considered for several years, as participation grew by about 10 percent every 12 months.

“The idea is to create a better experience for the runners and to better share the park,” Wittenberg said.
Approximately 6,500 runners will be able to register for each race, on a first-come-first-served basis. A percentage of runners who register for a race do not make it to the start line, for a variety of reasons, a factor considered in the cap number. Eventually, Wittenberg said, the Road Runners will consider guaranteed entry for certain runners, perhaps based on official times or other factors.

“The biggest change is that it will force runners to decide early what races they want to run in,” she said. “Up until now, they had the luxury of waiting basically until race day. I think what will happen is that we’ll end up providing some structure to the way people run.”

Besides the marathon and half-marathon, the biggest races this year were the 10-kilometer Scotland Run at the end of March, which drew 6,977 runners, and the 5-mile Poland Springs Marathon Kickoff at the end of October, which drew 6,477 runners.

No comments: