12/13/08

Santa Speedo Run…

"It hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse." ANN TRASON

OK…so we make it down to the city of Boston and back down towards Boylston Street. We park near my friend, SC’s place so we can meet up with her later. I arrive at the bar only to find some college friends that are doing it. You see all these people in Speedo’s and swimwear and if you were wearing clothes, you were pretty much the minority. I registered upstairs, which they had a bunch of items for free: Santa hat, baggie and Santa bells…it was great! The lady at the desk asked me for my donations or other contributions for the race and I was like…umm nope. She asked me for a minimum $50 dollar donation and I told them that I had a $20 instead. I did not know! Opps! I felt bad, but they saw that I was from New York and they let me go, without a clothing bag….so I was screwed. I went to my college friends, KY, LN and KS, who were already drinking up and they showed me where they had put their items of clothing and the bar was PACKED. I had to elbow my way around to strip down and then just throw my items right on their bags. UH! So AD was still outside, since they had a huge line and the people that were doing the race got in first, so I had to give my hat to AD. It was FREEZING OUTSIDE and KY and LN went out to go to the bathroom as I told KS that I was going to be right back. I gave AD my hat and was going to get liquored up for this run…or at least have one beer…BUT THEN people started coming out! UH! I didn’t even have time to get warm as I was shivering already…we must have been out there for at least 10 minutes waiting for people to file out and I roamed around to find KY and LN… the gusts of wind were cold, so you tried to go around and warm up by jumping with the crowd, finding people to huddle around with and just stay…warm?

Ahh the public humiliation was the not the big deal, it was just getting it over, having fun and just trying not to get sick. It was freezing and putting my body through a ton of shock was not good…first a 12 mile run, then this…and it was somewhat funny! It was as I call…and experience, so I’ll just leave it to that.

We finally started and then ran through the streets as most people were drunk. I was sober though and it was COLD! People were jumping up and down, running, hooting and hollering..it was pure mayhem! We stopped for a few minutes at different points, where people did jumping jacks and push ups and just the craziness…I was running by myself and was looking for LN and KY…where were they?


I went from front to back and then just finally resorting to just stop on the side to see where they were…I had thought they maybe they didn’t do it. But it was not like them to do something like this…they were there as they rang up the rear and had all the attention…ahh these gals! It was pretty funny though, but in the end I was cold, couldn’t feel my fingers and tried to brave it out when LN was interviewed by a news anchor. KS finally saw that I was shivering, so she offered me her scarf…but then I tried to make it back into the bar…but there were so many people just wanting to get in…it was pretty stupid that they were not letting in the crazy people who were running the race at 24 degrees and were FREEZING now that they were just standing around and people in jackets were trying to get into the bars…duh people…let the stupid runners with no clothes on in first!

As I went into the bar, I just wanted to gather all my stuff, change and then get out quickly to regroup with AD…I wanted to catch up and just chat with KY, LN and KS, but I didn’t know where they were, I went to the main floor and the bottom floor…no where, so I left. It was a crazy experience and I guess I will definitely consider it again…

As we walked back we went to see SC, who was also a long time High school friend, whom I usually stay with during the Boston Marathon. Her roommate, PP, was also a runner and she finished her first New York City Marathon this fall…who is good friends with my best friend from college, DS who I went on a backpacking adventure for one month and would probably never have that experience ever again.

Anyways…in all we recouped with a nice chat at the BU café with a bagel and hot chocolate…it was a fun day…

5 comments:

JohnnyGo said...

You are a maniac!

Patty said...

Who knew about your secret blog(s)? You didn't mention them over bagels near BU.

runner26 said...

so this is the santa speedo run i heard about last night... Why doesn't it surprise me??

Trakmaniak said...

JohnnyGo: Yes! Crazy asian to be exact!

Patty: Umm...never mentioned it...you went on and on about your blogging, but I was too embarrassed about my own. I am getting use to liking to write...Somerville Jingle soon to come...

Runner26: WHATEVE ANG...yes, it was the run that you heard about last night...funny huh? Pictures soon to come...or they are up!

Laura said...

This sounds hilarious! I know they have one in Albany but had no idea they had them other places as well. Perhaps I'll have to try... do women just run in full bathing suits (one-piece speedos)? Or bikinis or what?