1/30/09

Catching "kara"

"You were born to run. Maybe not that fast, maybe not that far, maybe not as efficiently as others. But to get up and move, to fire up that entire energy-producing, oxygen-delivering, bone-strengthening process we call running." FLORENCE GRIFFITH JOYNER and JON HANC, Running For Dummies

Last night I was suppose to go see Kara Gaucher and Bernard Lagat, but due to lasting secretary transitioning...I had to cut that from the schedule.

I was bummed a little, but had to just move on. I thought about where the HELL my long sleeve Boston shirt is though...which I can not find at all.

I went out for a run this morning to clear my mind from it. All I could think about was the constant of where I had put it...but if that was all I really cared about right now, life is pretty good.

I tried to forget about it, and by that time I got to underneath the brooklyn bridge. I had really been just taking it easy and not really thinking too much about my running as I had to ease back into my pace...but wait...I spot this female runner with tights, brown pony tail and fliece vest. She was moving...

Ok, no one trains really that hard, especially for a lady(not saying I don't respect you lasies out there...) I thought about my chances to see if it was Kara...she fit the description pretty well from the backside. All these things come running through my head, such as if I do catch up to her, where to I get a pen to have her autograph? I start searching the ground for a pen that someone lost. I am thinking, where does she sign if I do get a pen? On some apparel or my skin? That would make no sense at all. So I finally think about if it was her, to first confirm it was her, then if I was running along side of her to go into a duane reade and buy a sharpie or something...then get her to sign on this free keychain I had receive last year at the Boston Marathon... since after all, Kara will be at the boston marathon this year. Anyways, I passed the staten Island Ferry Terminal and low and behold, she was gone...I had thought that she had taken a turn and I was out of luck.

I continued to my usual route and when I turned to the boardwalk out looking at the statue of liberty, I had found her once again.
I pushed and as she rounded, I followed..but seriously I checked out my watch and my "slow recovery run" turned into actual race pace. I was determined though and as I went by the little alcove with the wooden bridge (the bridge was closed and she took the low road, as I took the high point to see her at her side...- finally found that it was not her...


Uh! All this time. So I caught up and then basically could have wized by her, but bravely spoke out and probably thought I was a dope! My lips werwe frozen and I slured a little, but I asked her if she usually runs at this pace and if she was training for anything? A person does not run that fast just for fun..

What I found was that her name was Hanna and she was originally from Portland, living in the Soho region. She was not on a team and ran in college...but runs recreationally for fun. She doesn't do more than 6 miles. As we ran next to each other we chatted and I complimented on her pace. I told her that I thought she was Kara and told her that I had thought she was warming up for the milrose games later on tonight...

Anyways, she turned off in lower manhattan as I quickly turned from speedy to a recreational pace...then thought to myself to just run....run quick and fast to continue the speed that I was going at...

By the end when I reached the streets to do my sprint workouts and final avenue runs. I was exhausted from running with her. I barely made it back....

Ahhh!! It was a good trip, hopefully I will meet up with Hanna again...but unfortunately it was not Kara...

No comments: