1/23/09

Pure nervousness…

"I loved the feeling of freedom in running, the fresh air, the feeling that the only person I'm competing with is me." WILMA RUDOLPH


I took down last year’s shirts on my wall as it captured the entire wall…about 24-28 races all together and I hang each and every race shirt up. So the bibs, yes they get a place as the shirts are sent to “the factory” to be made into a shirt blanket.

Unsure if I have told anyone this, but I have been trying to make a shirt blanket for myself from 2007’s year of shirts and my father had seen that I had been doing this…or preparing myself for this. He told me that since our Aunt owns a factory, she is slowing down due to the economy and is looking for work. I told her that tons of runners would be interested in getting their race shirts made into blankets…but for how much. Usual blanket places make their blankets for at least $350 to $400 a pop…I told him, but I think we can make it to about $300…We’ll see…my aunt is expecting to see one of my friend’s blankets that she made for me this weekend…and if things goes well…Well, we shall see if anyone on the blogging world wants their shirts to be made into a blanket…

Check out this blog post…

Anyways, so all my race shirts are never worn and the bibs that I had raced in them are put on the racing shirt…now here is the exception. I had told myself that no race shirts will be worn…well, now I have to make an exception, since the tech shirts that I had received are now going to be worn. I have 20 cotton shirts from 2008 and about 6-8 tech shirts…since they have an even number, I am ok with not cutting up my technical shirts.

But here is the kicker. The race bibs…what do you do with your race bibs?

I string up all my race bibs as the first race that I had was 8506…yes a large number for NYRR races, but not my largest number. My largest number was in the Chicago Marathon in 2007, yes the heat waved fun run of a marathon, where I had to be stuck in the back of the pack in back of all the seeded numbers.

Why?

Because I was stupid and forgot to submit my qualifying time to get a seeded number, the number: 10970. (Still not bad with about 30,000 people in the race…so I made out ok.)
The lowest number that I had received…double digit category and in a marathon, none of the less…

The number of 46 in the Hartford Marathon.

So…string up last year’s bib numbers and on with a fresh new set of bibs…here we go 2009!

On the side note: Flying out tomorrow for the Miami Marathon. Boy am I getting really nerveous about everything. I don’t know why, but I just get this way before every marathon. I calm down when I am actually there, but I get nervous right before when I am in NYC. Weird huh? I kind of get it though…when I am there I get all excited and forget about the pressures and just have fun with it…

Here we go…Miami, here I come!

5 comments:

JohnnyGo said...

Have a blast in Miami!

runner26 said...

good luck!! Not sure if it is today or tomorrow..

btw, i give my bibs to the kids in running 101. They wear them when they do the 10 minute run tests. They like the colors this year ;)

Laura said...

Good luck and hope you have fun!

I still haven't figured out what to do with my bibs or my shirts (even $300 is a bit expensive for my taste). As for my medals, I got one of those French memo boards, and it's great because I can just slide them onto the board and rearrange them anytime I want!

nyflygirl said...

I'm trying to figure out something creative to do with my bibs...at least the more memorable ones (photo album, maybe?)

For medals-tie rack!!

congrats on the race-and put the damn camera away next time :-P

sfrunner said...

BH, congratulations!