2/28/09

memory saturday...

"When the gun shoots, you got to go." ATO BOLDON

Uh! Getting up so early (5:30?) for a training run in the morning in Boston with my Alzheimer's teammates, I scurry from BZ's place near South Station...ok, I have no clue where I am going...I think I took a right instead of a left...opps! I tried to find my way and ended up walking a bit of the Mass Pike ramp towards the Bus station...I was there early and awaiting for my coach to pick me up...umm...very early where I was out there at 6:30 and he picked me up at 7 or so...uh! The winds were sooo cold and I wasn't going to wait inside because I thought I was going to miss him.

Anyways he came finally, got in the van, picked up more people and headed to Woodland T station to pick up the rest of the team....

As we were late, seemed like we were picking up only a few members since no one was visible from the van...then everyone started to come out in full force...there was about 12 to 15 of us and I wasn't even sure if everyone could fit!!!

Alright... We start to drive off right along the marathon route as it brings memories of the first marathon Boston that I had done last year. It was special and clearly what makes it more special is that Bostonites run and train early on the course...up and down you see these groups...it is pretty amazing...

My teammate and captain, EC, he was joking around and many were excited to see me. Or maybe everyone was excited to be running this long run...we were describing the course and the experience to a full on newbie to the marathon. Ahhh...she's going from 3 miles to a full blown 26.2 miles...now that is truly amazing. We were discussing how fast people have so much respect for slower runners in the marathon. We say we cannot do it...we can't be on our feet for more than 3:30....well, I cannot be on my feet for that long. I seriously can not go for more than 3:30 and not go to the bathroom, since I have proven that at Steamboat Springs CO...

Respect is a huge deal. I have respect for first timers, respect for older runners, respect for those people who have never done a marathon before and are trying it out just to do...

It's just amazing! So we land at the starting line of the Boston Marathon. Most of us get out and then some just start rolling...they are gone, out along the course and I was amazed since last time we did it, we grouped up into two's. Everyone left as EC, BK and B ( a new chica, who I learned is superfast and kicks my butt anytime) I truly respected her for running a consistent 3:11 and later on kicks my 10 miler and half times out of the water!). Wow...seriously...

Anyways, what was EC doing with us? He ran practically a good portion and I was very impressed!!!

Anyways, B, BK and I ran the whole way though as I documented various people along the way....with taking pictures, I can tell that some people liked it, while others did not, so I stopped a little ways through as we chatted about their little excursion at Martha's vineyard...it was as though I had been there. Though at one of the pit stops, we saw a credit card on the floor outside the bank, I went back to get it as to hand it in...not use it...come on now!

Do the right thing here...as we geared up some long hills ahead, we were nearing the end, but we went farther than the others...we were doing 21 as we went up the chestnut hill (hills of heartbreak hills) we picked it up too about 7 notches...we were about 75 percent I would have to say and by this time we should be well...as New Bedford looms in the air 2 weeks away...

We finish up at the T stop, CH was there!!! ahh, love, CH as there are a few members of this team that I do care about so dearly...she also made these kick ass cookies that were so amazing!

Anyways, RS and I waited for the last person with the Dales and it was COLD! In all, I have great respect for Jess for finishing all of that....

Mad prompts to her....

No comments: