2/19/09

New Running Shoes...

"We all need goals. Life is hard to live without one." TORY BAUCUM

Asics of course!

I had been deciding on where to get my new running shoes, since my rotation of older running shoes have been out of date...well, I think I had last purchased my running shoes in June and that was 6 months ago, but really have no clue. I would think that I would write it in my blog or something about such purchases...but nope, no cigar. How do you track your shoe mileage?

I decided to do a little shopping from store to store these past few weeks to get a price differential on which shoes to buy.

I am different than most people, most people would pay more for their training shoes. For me, I would rather pay more for my racing shoes, since for me training shoes get more mileage meaning that I have to rotate my shoes accordingly from week to week and workout to workout, and I replace my shoes so often that I need to buy more than one pair.

I fell in love with the 1120 series...yes, many of you are like, what? 1120 series? It was a long time ago, maybe even 2 years ago for that matter. Now the series has turned into 1130 or even 1140's...also there is a series of 2130 and 2140's...but yes, I go old school and I had bout about 4 pairs before the classic series went away. I use to buy my shoes at finishline.com as well with free shipping and different colors (to differentiate which shoe had more mileage and so on) but finishline, no longer carries Asic running shoes and well, then I no longer shop at finishline. Weird right? I use to get such great deals where my shoe was $50...so 2 shoes would be $100...and most people would only get one pair of shoes for $100...seriously now... Where do you buy your shoes? And at what price? Do you have brand loyalty? And series loyalty?

So now in search for a new shoe...which is difficult because you get so use to and familiar with your own shoe. The feel is different when you run in each shoe, the bounce, the bend, the grip...overall it is different when it comes down to it.

So, went from store to store trying to find the right pair. I knew of a pair that Pean, use to wear and I liked the lightness of it, but many of the stores around did not have my size...they were the DS trainers. So...I went to paragon since I can see the prices and they had a "sale" going on with their running shoes.

But the trouble was, they didn’t have my size. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by Super Runner’s Shop to see what their prices were…whoooaaa $110, ok…next place on the shoe tour, New York Running Shop at the Time Warner Center, $100…ok, I can live with that, I guess…plus the 10% discount, which probably brings it to the same price due to tax. Ok…let’s see Jack Rabbits…ok…I love the store, but I hate how they don’t have prices on the shoes, they had them, but I wasn’t going to ask a salesperson, who are always busy to check the price…they were all around $100.

Now, since the DS trainers were a light shoe, the durability factor comes to play. Now since I run so often and have heavy mileage, I want a training shoe with some weight…weight you may ask. Yes, it’s better to train with a heavier shoe to add a little weight to your step, so come race day, the shoe weight of your racing shoe is a whole lot lighter and you will run a “whole lot faster”…that’s my psychology for you…

Anyways, I went back to Paragon many of times to see the other shoes that they had available…I tried on a few pairs today, since I was down in the dump with work and had to get away…it was rest day and it was raining, so it was ok to take a day off from running and what other thing to do…get running shoes!

OK…needed two pairs, but needed to see which one I like: bounce, cushioning, feel…

I took out about 2-3 pairs including the smaller size of the DS trainers – nope those were not going to fit…way too small…1130’s…ok they were good…for some reason one time I didn’t like the feel to the front part…but it was ok…and a good price. Hmm…this other one: Asics Speedstar 3…it was very light and I really liked the feel to it…but a little too light…but I can change this up in my training schedules…

Ok…so what else…anything else in a size 9? I asked…

Nope…none, so I was done, bought two running shoes and that’s that…rotation is in the works though. I had a pair of 1120’s that I was hording at work and they were not even worn yet…so that will go back home…my other pair that I am currently running in will be for Thursday long days, speedstar 3’s will be for Mondays and the new pairs…after Boston I’ll break them out for training on long days…

Ahh…the rotation of 4 different shoes…and one pair of racing shoes…

What am I going to do with my 2 pairs of rotation distance running?
Well…wear them to walk back and forth to work, of course!

6 pairs of running shoes at home (1 walking, 2 long runs, 2 new pairs and 1 racing)
2 pairs of running shoes at work (1 current pair (Mondays’and Thursday runs) and 1 new pair)

CRAZY huh? Yes, I am!
Oh...PS: as I was walking home from Paragon sports tonight, I saw two homeless people right outside between Irving and 3rd streets having SEX. The guy had his back to a storefront (both sitting down) girl was on top of him facing storefront and it was strange to see...and then all I see was the girl going up and down...up and down...
both were clothed, but it was raining and it was somewhat cold, but damn!!! that was a first...I never seen something like that! It was rather humorous...but not really since these people are getting more game than I am...
ha...funny, but not really...

1 comment:

Elvis said...

Fantastic selection of these shoes!! Looking nice!!