2/14/09

Twenty - hitting the wall...

"To be consistently good, once you're in your own lane, you run your own race. For racing, this is the best way to take your nervous energy and turn it into positive energy." JOE DOUGLAS

So leaving last weeks brooklyn half, I was asking THE LAM how his training for Boston was going. He had told me that he was plabbibg on doing his 20 miler next weekend on saturday...I asked him if he had wanted company, and he said yes, although I had to pick the route. (I guess he had heard that I take these crazy routes around the city)

So, this week I devised a route, e-mailed him to ask if he was still in and he had said yes. I then opened it up to other flyers who were training for Boston, but I really didn't think many people would be going at our speed.

Today arrived as I ate a banana before leaving, packed water in my backpack, got some pop tarts, and grabbed another banana knowing along the route, I would have to eat. I also had granola bars and other recovery bars that I have been using during long runs to nurish myself and not get stricken from these hunger attacks that I know I usually get during my first two marathons...

Again, I have been smarter carrying food with me from my other incidents from other long runs in the past.

I met up with The Lam just right outside starbucks on. Union Square East and 15th street (that was the Crew's old hangout and meeting place - how I miss the crew...although we will gather again in the spring/summer once again).

We waited for about 3 minutes and were off, it was a windy, yet chilly, but sunny day and it was nice out. We started out chatting about Boston, as this was the first yeat that The Lam was doing this due to injury last year.

The route...
Start at 14th street running towards the east river, then head down towards Brooklyn Bridge, back over to Brooklyn, and then back, then went down broadway for a bit, turned left on Wall Street and back on the east river towards the Staten Island Ferry. Then towards the west side on the Hudson (including piers - where this was the usual monday night run, and my usual Friday runs as well), but after the piers, we went up past the USS Intrepid, and crossed at 59th street, where Columbus Circle was...this is where I was feeling the gas going on EMPTY.

As we went into Cebtral Park for a loop, I let Lam go...I didn't understand how tough it was for me to move at his pace...did he start it up or did I just fall back behind...at the reservior, I had to stop, though I felt bad for Lam, since he was trucking...got a banana in me and some water...took care of myself on a little rest and then went back out there to run again...though coming up towards the reservior, I felt a little twinge in my leg near my right achilies...not a pop though so that was good. A strain...I layed low a bit and told Lam to continue on since I needed to stretch and catch up at Engineers Gate. I did so, he left and then I saw Runner26, DM and KK...we chatted a bit and then they moved on as I wanted to stretch out my body. It was a tough 20 and by that point I probably got in about 18-19 miles...

I had the choice of taking the subway, but then strolled down towards the end of the park...where I definitely hit something. It felt as though I had hit a wall, where I thought about nothing, concentration was off, nothing was registering and everything in my mind was completely not there...it was a similar feeling of my first two marathons where I would lose my concentration due to the lack of amount of food intake the night before.

I quickly determined to eat some kind of granola bar from my bag, put my vest back on and after that, felt ok, better to run again. My mind was back and I just simply strolled back towards my apartment at a leisurely pace...

Hitting the wall ain't fun...but you have to prepare yourself better...lession learned...no more running with The Lam...

Kidding!

No comments: