3/1/09

COOGAN'S

"Running was the time he felt most alive. He knew that as surely as he'd ever known anything." RICHARD CHRISTIAN MATHESON, "Third Wind"

Wake up! I keep telling myself that since I am thoroughly exhausted from yesterday's marathon of events...

I ask myself why? Why am I waking up so early? Why am I doing this to myself?

Simple steps B...just make sure that you wake up to make it to this race. Uh! A 5K race and all the way up on the West side...

Ok, receiving an e-mail from work saying that I should come into work due to getting a set out...ok, fine, race first then work...must tell runner26 that I may have to work instead of seeing her for her birthday…uh! Harsh times call for harsh measures…

Eat, get out of the house and take the same route that I usually do for the part time job at the Armory during the winter season...the NR train to the number 1 train...

COLD!!!

Snowflakes start to sprinkle down from the sky as I walk towards the armory...ahh! I call up Duffy as he had texted me last night to tell me to wear my kilt...I replied yesterday saying, "Just do it!" As he was quizzical of running in his kilt alone...although he's really Irish/Scottish and plays the bag pipes...

So we met up and we both put on our kilts and rolled towards the starting line as many people commented us on our gear...Although, I think it was Duffy's tan legs they were staring at.

We caressed into the starting line as we saw many of our compadres, the usual faster folk, who are out of my league: JW, TB, CM, JD...all who are such great runners. I questioned TB's running attire as he was in shorts and a t-shirt...umm crazy! As the gun went off, there was a slight build up in the front as all the fast guys wanted to start up fast...I went along with them...stupid idea. I quickly fell into the trap of going out too fast...I never recovered after the first mile. My legs felt the soreness of yesterday's 21 miler in Boston and the wheels were not working at all. It was ok. My legs need a rest.

I get passed left and right as I try to keep my speed up and down the tough hills…long…hills. My stomach did not feel well once I got out of the subway and I felt an ongoing pressure of just wanting to explode as I was running. Huffing and puffing…I felt as though I really was going to crap in my pants…I can understand now of how people shat in their pants during a marathon. I see JW pass me as we go up the hill on the return...gosh, I didn't know this course...am I really going that slow? Or is JW getting so much better! It was amazing and a tough 5K. I started getting really hot...really hot. My head was steammy as I forgot to take off my regular winter hat and forgot to put on my running hat...uh! And I wore way too much clothes...wonder why TB wore so little...I should have gone full monty and not worn my shorts under my kilt...

A whole lot of people that I usually am beating pass me. No big deal…I am just having one of those days…just try to get under 20 ok? Gosh…Gearing for the last hill…climb…climb…exhaustion sets in…I’m such a goof for wearing a kilt! I’d do anything for a good laugh and why not right?

As I can see where we had started…I wasn’t sure if it was the finish line or did we have to go a little further…I literally had nothing else in me and only wanted to keep at this steady pace of emptiness…this was one of the few times my legs refused to respond to my brain telling it to go a little faster…

I finally see that the starting line was the finish line as people were flying past me left and right and sprinting towards their time destination. I keep at a constant pace as I was in no rush to get to the finish line but to stop running. I felt a little bad since it was a team’s point race, although I had nothing in me today.

The slight twinge in my foot from yesterday’s run is slightly effecting my performance…maybe a little rest would make things better. Take a week off maybe, then see how we feel this weekend and slowly build up again. This way we don’t jeopardize the rest of the running season and Boston and the NJ marathon all together.

No comments: