3/31/09

Runners Crazy?

"Knowing that you can run 20 miles is a big breakthrough mentally, when it comes to tackling the marathon distance." JOAN BENOIT SAMUELSON

I guess they weren't in the mood for Smeggs.

According to a story in The Salt Lake Tribune
, a carload of customers reacted poorly when they tried early Sunday morning to order from the dinner menu at a Salt Lake City McDonald's drive-through, only to learn that the restaurant had switched to breakfast fare:

Two men got out of the car, and one pulled a sawed-off shotgun out of the trunk, police said. He fired once or twice into the drive-though window ...

Which brings us to this week's Big Question: Are runners more sane than the general population?

If that question sounds familiar, it's because it is an echo of last Wednesday's post,
Runners: More Attractive Than Most?

The "More Attractive" post was, I admit, a bit tongue-in-cheek. At best, it was mere idle speculation. But this time, I'm actually sort of serious. The first reaction I had upon reading the McDonald's/breakfast menu/shotgun story was: "That's nuts. People are crazy."

My second reaction, though, was: "I bet no one in that car was a runner."

Seriously. Think about it. How many runners do you imagine are capable of something this insane? Pretty few, I'd wager.

Maybe it's because people who are less prone to violence and crime are more likely to become runners in the first place. But I'd bet good money that even among the population of existing runners -- i.e., us -- any violent or criminal tendencies that do exist are kept in check simply because we run.

Just consider how many times your mood has improved after lacing up and logging a few miles. The effect still amazes me, after all these years: A day that begins full of stress, angst, and gritted teeth can turn downright blissful after a good run.

Maybe judges should sentence minor miscreants to running, instead of lock-up.
I'm not saying the gun-wielding folks at that drive-through would become upstanding citizens overnight, if only they'd sign up for a 5-K. But you know what? It'd probably be a step in the right direction.

At the very least, maybe the next time they learn that McDonald's is only serving breakfast, they'd shrug, order some hotcakes, and move on.

I believe that all marathon runners have something kookie with themselves...we all are crazy! If you think about it, we challenge our bodies to the very fullest by training so hard and running a marathon of 26.2 miles...more than our bodies can take...well in the least amount of time...going for a personal record of pushing ourselves to the fullest...and "best" as we call it.

Are we insane? Are we a little crazy...

I speak for myself. I am a little crazy....okok, very crazy, that's why I am nicknamed:

crazyasian...or Crazy Bandana...

I'd do things for dares. I am a little crazy and push myself to a painful aspect of narsistic love of pain...crazy...

yes...mr. crazy himself...

No comments: