4/2/09

Last long run before Boston...

"Somewhere along the path, running became the canvas upon which I documented my life." DAGNY SCOTT, Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running

So, I missed my last long run before Boston where everyone does their long run...usually a 20 miler 3 weeks before the race...then slowly tapers after that.

For me, usually I don't believe in the word "taper". Though this time around since I have two marathons back to back, I need to be conservative and do this thing right.

Two marathons is a challenging effect, though I have done 3 in 6 weeks before (Chicago, New York and Philadelphia), all 2 weeks inbetween...and that, I would never do again. Even though I was tempted to run the Delaware Marathon this year.

Anyways, got out of work early today at 5:30, since I went to work early, so I decided to see if I could do a loop before the Thursday group run.

The weather was extremely warm, although again I started of what I felt was sluggish...then GAINED ANOTHER CRAMP! What was up with that? I have no clue...maybe it's the lunches that I am having lately and the oiliness...

But, as I entered the park and went to the west side up, I saw AP, a fellow flyer who I was not sure if he was going to Boston...he passed me early on last year and ended up really overdoing himself and dehydrating... going to the hospital. Scary! Anyways, he told me that he had plantars and he is on and off on running, so he will not be running in the Boston marathon this year. I felt for him, although these guys ran their hearts out this past year and they deserve a rest, since these guys (PD, JD, TB, AP, EF, CW, Laminator and CD & DF) these guys really took it to the next level to win the Class B for the NYFlyers...

Anyways, we went our separate ways and I struggled to make it up harlem hill, over and down to the lower part of central park since I hit Engineers gate at 6:35 (saw DD another flyer)...so I had some time...cut across 72nd street and rounded out the lower loop since I didn't think I was going to make it back up to make it to the Group run...but BARELY made it...uh! so fast!

I ran another loop with DL and we chilled and stayed at a consistant pace. By the time I was done...I ran 17 miles. Where did this come from? I had no clue! it was CRAZY!

I went to work the Marathon Training program with GW for the Flyers and we worked things out...more work to come this weekend though...

Then ran another 3 back to my work place to round off the 20 miler...last 20 to Boston...taper time!

In all...fast times, even though I thought I was struggling, I guess I wasn't...since I made good timing!

Boston here we come:

2 weeks, that's 14 days till I go up...

That's 17 Days for race day...

No comments: