5/31/09

Tale of two cities...

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own, sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction." William James, philosopher

Woke up early for game time. Ended up that PP was not running, the race that AD and her were planning on running for about a month or so. I was planning to watch them both and not spend alone time in NYC during my birthday and take pictures...but plans changed. She offered that I should run in her place...

A half marathon...hmm....I couldn't resist! I did so, and well thought about a game plan due to the facts that I was running a marathon next week in South Dakota. AD had never ran a half marathon before and her training has been alright, though she said was not too great since her life has been busy. Since this year was all about helping other's it would be a great time to pace AD and run with her on her half. She was an excellent pace runner though and went to states in High School, which to this day I highly regret due to my admissions to college...

But, anyways the race was going to be hilly and my body was pretty tired from the Friday night. The day of shopping with the gals on Saturday was great as well and I guess, I figured when the race was going to start, I would be ok.

The race start the director of the BAA and course director for the Boston Marathon was there because this race was in honor for this gal. She had ran the Boston marathon of 26.2 feet instead of miles due to her condition. It was inspiring though as the director's wife was due and he was there to support! Now that is amazing!

The race started off and we were on our way. We started off pretty slow, but steady...this was AD's plan as she likes to "hunt" down people. 9:30 first mile, as I was pretty exhausted...I don't know why? Maybe it was the heat or humidity, maybe it was because of the miles on Friday? But man! I was beat! Huffing and puffing up and down the hills, we got on track with a comfortable pace of 8:30's... And kept that steady...I was following AD, but man was it an up and down ride. I couldn't believe it was an out and back, where the course you saw and the hills that you are going down, are the hills that you are going up later on...KILLER!

The heartbreak hill was the highlight of the race...I guess...but, after heartbreak, there was a loop where you wrap around and that had some MAJOR hills afterwards...the pace was good...8:30 pace and where I guess I was joking around giving PP who now handled the camera job and gave her a big sweaty hug...it must have been awful, but it was the spur of the moment thing...and she stayed on the way back...so I gave her a kiss on the cheek on the way back....

Then we rolled back the way we came. Rolled into a portopotty since I did not make sure I went in the beginning and then caught up to AD...I was keeping myself occupied as I did something really horrible and I feel bad now. I was slolome skiing between the cones, in and out as I guess I was maybe annoying AD...though she told me that it was awful for the guy in back trying very hard. Opps! Sorry guy!

I wanted to splash AD since it was hot, but didn't want to ruin her experience, so I flung water into the air thinking "if it came from the sky, then she can't yell at me!"...but it totally missed her...

She kicked it up at the end and did very well for the first half that she ran...so it was amazing!

Went to brunch afterwards and dropped me off at the bus station...

I was lucky to get an earlier BOLT bus back into NYC since Obama is in town and traffic will be bad...get home, drop off my things and shower...head to Professor Thoms to meet up with my friends...for a drink or two of celebration of MY BIRTHDAY!!!

Tale of two cities: Boston and New York...

1 comment:

Patty said...

Awesome retelling! Glad you had a good bday wknd in Boston--and of course, thanks for suffering through the swim suit shopping extravaganza at the mall. Although I'm still mad you didn't take the air mattress and slept on the couch instead.