6/1/09

To Jeremy's Ale House

"Runners are no longer content with fitness but are seeking a new awareness of the self in the total experience of running - and more often than not they are culminating that quest by running a marathon." George Sheehan

So it was going to be a short run today for the Monday group run, although I needed to plan ahead and run a bit before. I needed to finish up on a few things for work before I left, so I changed and it was already 6:30 pm, by the time I got out.

Ok, 15 minutes up and 15 minutes down...straight ahead! I decided to go up to 42nd street on the west side and then back down again to meet up with the Monday group run folks beforehand, since they were only going a good 5 miles...

I felt fine after the half marathon on Sunday, but it was ok to be cautious and just go with it.

As I passed Chelsea Piers, past the west side, past the Jacob Javitz Center..and who do I see...AC! Wow, I haven't seen her in a while...ms. Puker herself...(Only kidding hon!). Anyways, she joined the Flyers due to being on our last minute team for the Urbanathlon challenge 2 years ago and that was with PB&J...

So I ran with her for a little while and she ran in the other direction as I was soon to follow and catch up to her...she's a great gal...and she has such a fighting spirit...gosh the competitiveness in that gal!

As I turned around to go back, I see her yet again...I put my arms to the side of me like "What Happened?"

We talk, I stop and ask her a bunch of stuff like what's going on and all that jazz.. Then I remember! She's turning to being a PT...and she's taking massage classes on top of it..SO! Maybe asked her if her school happened to do the NYC marathon...

Hmm...it was a good thing and well you have to use your connections anywhere possible...and this was for a good cause: for my Alzheimer's Association group of marathon runners, which hopefully we would get the Time Warner Center for a meeting location for an after party.

Anyways, I ask...hopefully...hopefully... She didn't guarantee, but steered me in the right direction and the certain people to talk with that would give me the right answers...so hopefully things will turn out great!

I left to meet up with the Monday night group, but by the time I had actually got to the starting point, I may have already missed them...so best if I get to the point where they are coming across to the Westside highway and then backwardsly go into them...

I reached the stop light and was just about to go over when, I saw JM there waiting for all of the members of the team...since I was already late, might as well stay with her till the crew was coming anyways...there was not much of the difference if I went to find them as much as if I just waited there...

So I waited with JM and we chatted. Then a while's went by and in my head was a thought that I could have met them in the starting point...but oh well...FINALLY!

The calvary has arrived and I had thought the fast crew was going slow...because they wanted to speed up after I got there...but they didn't speed up an inch...so I left them and needed the distance...so I did all of the piers and tried to play catch up and boy was that rough around the edges!

The guys that usually go out quickly did not even budge! What happened to you guys? Did any of you run the half the Saturday of? Is this why you were tired? Cause seriously they were not moving like they usually are.

I needed to regain my stride and gait for this weekend because whenever you run, you tend to revert sometimes to the same effects of what you did last time...and last time being the heartbreak hill half with Amy...

Anyways, I rounded out all of the piers and passed the rest of the crew along the west side highway, battery park, winter garden and statue of liberty...wheew...

I heard JM say, "well, it's about time you came!". Jesus! I'm not Superman you know! Haha...anyways, all good, round out the Staten Island Ferry part to keep going around South Street Seaport...though I extended it going around the piers as well, overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge and remembering when The Falls were up...

Anyways, Jeremy's ale House was around that area and it had been about a year since we had last been there...wheew! Beer, Greasy Food and umm...good conversation...

It was the usual first Monday run....and it felt great!

No comments: