6/6/09

Mt. Rushmore...

"After a week of the contained chaos that is my job, I need some solitary running time. On Sundays, I can unwind and reconnect with the natural world." LINDA JONES

Saturday arrives and I wake up pretty early on Mountain time, although back home in Eastern Standard time, it is pretty late due to me waking up pretty early...

7 am Mt west and waking up at 9 am EST.

I wake up in the chilliest of weather, but it is nice...it's brisk. I try to complete my blog post for the week as SM wakes up...

May I remind you that SM came in late last night and I was done, cooked and dead asleep...so this was the first time I had seen her in a long while...granted this is also the third time I had met SM...who is AD's teaching mate from Vail, Colorado. Yes folks, I do have friends everywhere it may seem like, although not really! (I was just lucky on this one as SM wanted me out there because she was doing her first marathon...and yes, she twisted my arm and I needed to do a marathon there...)

We chatted and soon the rest of the family woke up. We gathered as we went to breakfast...and BOY was it a good hearty breakfast! I wish NYC had this kind of hearty breakfast as though they put their hearts into meals rather than just serving it as a number.

Man! So the skillet was amazing and we headed back to the cabin...then headed out towards Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse, which was our plans for the day.

Before that we had to stop by the expo once again to pick up T's racing packet, who was E's girlfriend. No biggie...

I had to show SM where this expo was as we went to get the race packet..there SM also met up with her friend and chatted a bit. I talked to the race director once again...as I was curious about other things...then came the scan. The guy recognized me (because I had to change up my chip) and he asked me if the "Walmart Girls" were here. I told him that SM was their sister and had to give the low down to SM about the scanning of the chips and how her sister thought it was funny how they were "scanned" like an item you bought with a bar code.

We then left to go to Mt. Rushmore as we got a yearly pass ticket, good for the whole year!
Mt. Rushmore was a huge disappointment...it was foggy and we couldn't see one thing. We decided to make the most out of it as we took a tour with this family...

Now mind you this is what we saw...

Anyways, we found out how Mt. Rushmore came about, the facts of how the four presidents were decided upon placement on the monument...and the origins of each one...boy was it cold though. The temperature must have been close to 30-50 degrees and misty. We decided to go back to the car and go to crazy horse...hopefully that would not be a disappointment.

The crazy horse monument was HUGE, although it was the right time where you could go up to the arm of the monument, though it was raining and well, we just wanted to remain dry...and good thing too. We saw the movie that told us the history behind crazy horse and then we were going to venture out when a huge hail storm came abouts outside...wheew! We just stayed inside, so we could skip that part.

We saw that after the clouds moved, we stopped at this most scenic lake...boy was this beautiful. It was so calm, peaceful and reserved. We saw the coulds move more and more as we just though, we could get the perfect shot of Mt. Rushmore. M and I were loving every minute of the camera and getting that right picture.

Since we had the pass, we decided to truck it back to Mt. Rushmore to see what we had missed...we waited...waited....WAITED!

Ahhh! It was amazing! The clouds lifted and we were in business! Amazing!

The sights of nature was just amazing and well we called it a day after and decided to have one huge feast for dinner.

Since all of SM's family was doing the half marathon together (walking) which is absolutely amazing and I would never choose to even walk that many miles. We decided to have a ton of pasta and well...test our culinary skills...

We actually had a whole lot more than we could chew and good thing we didn't make our pasta...it was CRAZY! I cooked my infamous chicken parmasian, which was absolutely delicious and got some great compliments. It was just marvelous! Absolutely marvelous!

I had my many servings of food and SM's family could not believe that I eat so much...but this was my tradition! This was what I do before a marathon...we ALL went to bed pretty early as the half marathoner's were to get up super early and leave at 6:15...boy! I didn't believe SM's family could be so quiet before a marathon...it was amazing!

Well...the hard part was the actual realization that it was going to rain tomorrow and figure out what we were going to wear....it was going to be in the 40's...brr! It's JUNE! Come on!

Well...that's that! Bedtime and we'll see...though I usually get nervous and this was not the case with this race before the marathon...confident and cool...high expectations.

5 comments:

Patty said...

What was for breakfast? Also, where're the posts re Dash No Splash? This reader wants more!

Anonymous said...

good morning ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I had been searching allowing for regarding that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the velcros were approximately 240 bucks on every page. But completely I set this locate selling them for half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

hi there people. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking for that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were approximately 310 bucks on every page. But for all I found this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I in reality want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon ppl. I'm really into shoes and I was digging for that particular make. The prices seeking the velcros were all over 250 pounds everwhere. But finally I bring about this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy those. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that particular brand. The prices as regards the velcros were all over 310 bucks on every site. But for all I set this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I really love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase those. what can you tell me about these?