7/24/09

NYC Tri Expo

"Tears streamed down my face as I crossed the finish line. I was a new person, a runner." Thomas King, Novelist and Broadcaster

I arrive at the Sheraton on 57th and 6th avenue right where Time Square starts for the NYC Tri expo to volunteer and just keep occupied with my life. The athletic world helps out athletes with other athletes, triathletes are no different from marathon runners...

Anyways, it was pretty amazing just the energy that these athletes have. I guess marathoners have that as well when they are walking though the expo and arriving after 4 to 6 months of training.

My job was to hand out goodie bags to the ladies...well, fold shirts and then stuff them into bags and then hand them to the ladies. I was pretty lucky that I got that sort of end out of the stick, where I got to interact with these ladies! Well, these ladies were psyched to be there picking up their things and ready to go! It was great and you can feed off of their excitement.

So we did this from 10:30 to 4:30 or rather 5pm, where it was rather pleasant. I got to hang with some amazing people as I got to know some of these volunteers. Most of these people have done triathlons and they were one up on me. They also did marathons where this was the only thing I could possibly relate to. Anyways, I chatted with them and I really got to know how athletic these people were! They were just as crazy as I was. This women told me that she biked the whole state of New Jersey! From tip to tip! How crazy is that in one day, for fun!

Ok, like I wouldn't do that...seriously!

Anyways, I strolled along seeing the expo and seeing many Flyers working the expo as well. It was great to see the transition or how many of these runners change over to the whole triathlon phenomena...I'm just a little scared of the water part...

Ok, so next on the list...the underwear run...

No comments: