7/23/09

Rain

"On that day, we seemed to achieve what generations of politicians and philosophers have failed to do. With nothing more than our running shoes, we accomplished what all the wars and weapons have failed to do. We were, for a few hours anyway, a community of people whose sameness was more important than our differences." John "The Penguin" Bingham on The New York City Marathon

Supposingly, I was not suppose to run today, although with a shitty way of the different factors involved, I must say I didn't mind it much.

I was layed off again from my architecture part time job today, which in some ways it would not have worked out anyways due to the constant "let's see if we need him today" attitude and instability. I really have a daily mentality where I wanted to work everyday or when they felt as if they needed me, although I feel that they really were not ready at all to have someone work for them on red lines and what not on a "let's see basis"...really so not cool when you are expecting a contact and saying oh we don't need you today or we need you later on this week...and receiving red lines the day of or an hour before it is due or really not understanding what needed to be done...communication fella's! It would help!

Anyways, let by gones be by gones and continue on. At least hopefully my coaching jobs are secure and that will be that...till the NYC marathon that is.

So...I receive a text from ST telling me that she wanted to run. Ok. So I'll be ready...bout later in the day it was raining...ok, maybe she doesn't want to run? I was wrong! ST wanted to run, so how could I say not to...

I met ST ON THE CORNER! Anyways, she was hiding underneath the overhang talking to some of her colleagues about if she should wear her sleeves or not on her jacket...hard decision right? Well, she had to keep her blackberry and beeper out of the rain and in a zip lock bag...

No big deal! ST was use to this and by this point the rain was a mere damper on our running as this was ST's time. She vents and relaxes her time to me. We run, at a moderate pace, which to many people is quite a fast pace. We start up, zoom around engineers gate and up towards Harlem Hill...

RING! RING! Umm...ST, your phone is ringing...

She unzips her jacket and tells me that it is her intern...

Umm...aren't you going to answer that?

UH! I will wait till I finish this hill!!! UH! What does he want! This better be good!

I was wondering if a person's body was in jeopardy and quickened the pace for ST to follow so no one on the surgery table would die!

I ended at the top of the hill at the line, ST continued till the stoplight and then found a patch on the side (hair fritzed, steam just exploding out of her ears) but yes, very maddened by the timing of the call...it was the concentration of the hill and the momentum that caused her ferocious -ness to expel out of her body.

She exploded on the phone...

"What would you like?"

Wondering what was the big deal and how they can call while interrupting the training run....

Oh dear! I have not seen this before! All I know is the dear ST that is nice, charitable and personable...

I could totally see the authoritative figure of she is at the top! She's so great!

She ends up talking and then hanging up, peeved by the situation and annoyed due to the irrelevance of the call...

"Why was that not a text message"

Oh dear...time to dampen the fires! Hahaa! Kidding, we continued on and by the end of the run, it was fine. We sprinted after the sign that said 72nd street turn right...although there are three signs and we passed the first one thinking if there was another one, then we finally saw it and started sprinting! And then another....but we had already sprinted so we continued till we hit the entrance of 5th avenue.

Wheew! That was quite the run! A run in the rain, on my off day...boy!

Running way too much lately!

No comments: