9/27/09

Crazy, but awesome...

Have a dream, make a plan, go for it. You'll get there, I promise. Zoe Koplowitz, Achilles Track Club member with multiple sclerosis

Why am I out at 7am on a Sunday when I only got 4 hours of sleep last night?

This is crazy...downpouring, rain, cold, tiredness...I contacted my other coach to discuss the matters...we did and we finally came up with cancelling...but it was far too late!

I awoke this morning after going to the little boys room saying maybe people eImailed us telling us that they were not going to show up...but I was wrong, totally wrong...there was no e-mails...this is bad!

I finally felt guilty and could not go back to sleep if "the kids (my Alzheimer's team)" were out there "playing in the rain" or rather running in the rain as they were told as their coach slept inside? Nope!
Ok, I couldn't be at the group meeting spot by 6:45 by this point and all I could do is actually be cheering on and taking pictures of my team...my 3 teams: The Alzheimer's Association, Team for Kids, the NY Flyers...but this is crazy...

I was thinking in my head, well...EVEN I would not be out there this morning...EVEN I take breaks and know when to say when...

EVEN I...ok, these kids are crazy, but awesome and they own a piece of my heart....so this is the least I can do for them!

I make my way from 59th street to 72nd and cheer on all the runners. It was best to use my new camera due to the capabilities of the water protection and wanting to test that out...use it as often...but yes, it was difficult to take some shots, but I got the hang of it and actually got some rather away shots than I usually do but there was really not a whole lot of light, so couldn't funtion that and I had an unbrella, so working two hands was not an option...which I fiddled with the nature of putting the unbrella handle in the shirt whole in back of the neck...but that didn't work too well...

Anyways...the race was on and off and downpour, the runners did not seemed to be too effected by it after they were all soaked already, but I continually got soaked!

I saw most of my local teammates from the NY Flyers, some Team for Kids members and most importantly my Run to Remember teammates...

As the kids passed, I missed them...but they shouted at me...ok, I'll get them at the second round...at least now I know what they are wearing and knew who was running...and some had really smily faces on! Yes guys, if you doubted yourself being a runner, you guys are truely runners now...well surpassing me there!

Anyways, they came back for their second loop, then I decided to walk to the finish line...again it was the least I can do for them and they all passed the test!!! 18 miles! Amazing in the worst of conditions as well...

They are trully amazing...far exceeding any of my expectations today...as all of them came in and I awaited to take their picture in the rain, soggy wet...

And...a special TFKer was out there as well giving out prezels with an amazing 3 hours of sleep as well...

I went to the ING cafe to see the lecture and went home shortly after to take a shower and a slight nap...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

runner26 said...

thanks for being out there on sunday!! it really did make a difference to see you once a loop ;) hope it was not too painful to stand in the rain. also, i'm wondering if you're planning on posting any of the pics ??