9/20/09

Team for Kids- 20 miler...

It's the road signs, 'Beware of lions.' Kip Lagat, Kenyan distance runner, during the Sydney Olympics, explaining why his country produces

Got up at 5:30 am this morning since The New York Flyer did not have a run on Sunday. GW and I were free to work for Team for Kids who moved their usual Saturday group run to Sunday morning. GW had texted me last night if I wanted to share a cab with him...of course I said sure!

So he picked me up at 62 and 1st and we were on our way toward Brooklyn. I had not gotten anything really into my system of what I usually would eat in the morning such as a banana or bagel or gatorade...

I was unprepared, but I had my granola bars and gu if I needed it...we arrived and found that there were about 100 members of TFK there...it's always nice to see such a large groupings of people and see that there are many friendships that are gained through this program.

The two other groups first started...as GW and I had the faster groups of 8's and 9's for marathon pace...so, my group was from 9-9:45...the bulk of the group. We went over the Brooklyn Bridge, made sure that everyone was ok in the end. Went around the Staten Island Ferry terminal and up the West Side Highway. It was such a beautiful morning and We were taking in the Sunday morning as we were passing by the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

The 8's pass us as we go by Battery Park and we joke around saying that our 9's would surround them so they can not leave...

We pace at a 9:30 pace stopping at the first water station. Some wanted to leave, while others needed a water break and bathroom break...

Ok...both the 8's and 9's were at the same water station...which was my bad...we should have distributed the water station to minimize confusion. This is where I went wrong and got confused through the rest of the day...

So as my group got split up, some continued on, some were still in the bathroom and I was left in the middle...with a dilemma at hand...

I needed to stay to make sure that everyone was ok. So I stayed. I stayed to the very last person there in the bathroom and made sure that everyone knew the route...to 72nd street, where there was another water station.

Ok, so I ran up to catch my group to make sure that they were ok...but got side tracked my another runner telling me that the group that I saw ahead, was the 8's...wait, I didn't pass them...so I continued and the group that I saw was my group...

So finally after drinking a cup of gatorade (mind you that this was my first drink of water that morning...) I finally caught my group...they were perfect! They were going at a great pace and did not even need me! So I followed and took the back seat...

Since MM was there, I knew they were in good hands and they were PERFECT! So I went back to a slight turn that could confuse people...and directed people to go down until the very last person passed. (I was approached by many bicyclist to tell me that many groups did not abide by staying out of their ways and taking up the whole route...ok, fine bikers...we'll try!)

So after they all passed...I followed and tried to catch up, yet again...wait, wasn't I doing this last weekend with the Flyers? I caught up to some, but didn't catch up to my group as they were well on their way going back towards home base and finishing...since they were ok, I decided to stay at the Little Red Lighthouse, underneath the Brooklyn Bridge.

I welcomed all the runners and stood by the water fountain to tell them that they are doing a great job...again, I was staying there till the last few people showed up.

Then the scare...one of the groups had a person (allison?) had an asthma attack...she was panicing and I had my cell phone just in case. I told her to go to the shade, got her water and she slowly rested and calmed down...she took quite a while to get back into it, but she was amazing and left...

Then there was A...as the triple A's showed up. A had a tight quad that she told me to rub her knot out...it was annoying her and I was professional about it...I told her to lie down on the picnic bench and rubbed on top of her quad right below her butt. Then worked my way up towards the butt because of the tightness and tendons...whatever, I was just trying to find the knott people. Anyways, I tried to work things out and rub it out...I mean it was a beautiful day, people were around us and whatever! Ok, fine...think what you like!

Anyways, we thought that everyone had turned around and by that point, I was done with making sure everyone had the right direction, so I went back with A, which was great because we continued our conversation that we had while I was rubbin' her knot out. We talked about all different kinds of things: Job, life, running, and boy...so all good.

In the end we stopped a few more times to stretch, and completed the whole twenty miler...all the TFK kids were done and they are pretty we'll confident that they are able to do the marathon...

Even better...I have much respect for those runners who have never ran anything before and are "off the couch" runners...

I ran home after practice as everyone from TFK should be proud of themselves...

They completed a 20!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: