10/17/09

Last 10 miles

People begin running for any number of motives, but we stick to it for one basic reason-to find out who we really are. George Sheehan, M.D.

So...today?

You know when it's finally coming close when you endure the last 10 miles of the marathon.

It's pretty sad, although with all good things there are greater things.

I am amazed by the people who have taken this journey...those who stuck it out to the end and am going to endure one of the biggest parties in a one day event.

MF got in this morning to leave his bag at my place to shower after the run. We also decided to do the 59th street bridge, out and back before the group had left, although we were late and the group had already formed...Jeff had already called me twice and we finally rocked and rolled. I ran back into my apartment because I had to get something I had left for LC, who has a VIP special privileges due to her recent pregnancy.

Anyways, sprinted back to catch them all and finally made it!

It was nice to see everyone so early in the morning and just so happy...BUT it was so cold! And we were running with this other group, who charged people to run the last 10 miles! I couldn't believe it! That is just crazy!

Anyways, we went up to the Willis Ave bridge and did the whole stairs up and then over the bridge and then a little on the 138th street...BUT what is the deal here? Is there a change in the marathon due to the Long Island City political scheme? What is the deal?

Anyways, we continued on the old course and continued on. I waited for JL as he was taking up the rear...as the party was in the back! I kept going up and back from front to back to make sure that all groups were taken care of. I told the group to watch out for the ugly 5th avenue incline as we passed that, RM said "oh this hill wasn't so bad!" Ok, RM say that to me on Marathon Sunday!

Anyways, there were more people in the park lately since it is 2 weeks away...as we rounded out at mile 25 of the marathon course and went towards 59th street, incline and led the first group in towards the end...I can clearly see all of the marathon signs all around Columbus Circle and we finished up at Tavern on the Green.

We finished and I pulled out the three bottles of Gatorade that I had in my bag, that I had been carrying the entire time...I guess I am not done with my sherpa duties from last weekend.

We wait up till the party in the back came in and then the cold finally rushed us (MF and I back to my apartment)

The end is near...last 10 miles as these kids are ready to rock and roll!

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: