11/10/09

Junior Committee

In the 30 years I've been a runner I've run more than 150,000 miles. Still, some of the hardest steps I take are those first few getting out the door for daily runs.

Bill Rodgers' Lifetime Running Plan

So after my calibration, I ran up to the Alzheimer's chapter because there was a Junior Committee meeting today. Since there were so many Jr committee members on the team + the Junior Committee had entrusted and front this marathon program, I have to at least make the effort to go to the meetings, plus do other events as well!

Come now, it's fun and getting to know more and more people that relate to this disease has allowed me to grow as a person.

Also, I don't see as many e-mails coming around anymore, so I needed to tell JL that I wanted those e-mails back. As I go through withdraw from the long 4-5 months.

Seriously, during the marathon season, we must have received at least close to 100 e-mails a day, where reading them and the responses that JL would respond to people was amazing his reaction time!

Anyways, I arrive at the chapter and walk in. EE was there as she was surprised to see me, since this was the first time in many months that I have been to the JR committee meetings...as EE was on the marathon team. Anyways, it was glorious as they (EE, SC, MM) all just jibber jabbered over the marathon and the experience...even during the meeting as topic came up, they were practically selling the training program to other people on the committee...it was hilarious!

But the JR committee is one of the more interesting committees, where 35% of the money raised by the committee (from Gala events, happy hours and now the marathon) goes directly to research (or am I getting this mixed up?)...the rest goes directly to the programs that WE choose within the Alzheimer's Association for as long or as short of a time span that we would like (...or is it the other way around?)

I have never seen the process being done, although come next month, these programs will present their initiatives to us and we will be able to vote. Now, since the marathon program had brought in a large chunk of the money...the JR committee may be asking certain representatives from the marathon program to be an honorary voter...which is a great gesture! Absolutely amazing!

Gosh...I wish so much that people (and families) never had this disease, although with the great bonds and friendships that I have gained from this disease...it's all memorable and it's the only thing that can be worthwhile to do in these circumstances...

All for the best...as I walked home with RB, another member from the Alzheimer's Run to Remember team.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: