1/3/10

Speed...

Experience has taught me how important it is to just keep going, focusing on running fast and relaxed. Eventually pain passes and the flow returns. It's part of racing. Frank Shorter

Started the day off reading as it was quite the lazy Sunday morning...seriously felt really good having these days off...

Ok, time to get the day started, so off to a First Sunday Run accordingly to Deanna...who had invited me to all these Nike groups and I am quite amazed about her connections with the group listing...

I really was pondering on going, but I wanted to try out these Sunday Group runs, these guys would really enhance my running abilities. So...I packed up all my things (including all my clothes that I was going to change into for Speedwork) and left my apartment knowing that I was late...

The subways continued to increase my late and tardiness...which I got off at the 33rd subway stop instead of the 23rd street subway stop, which I had originally thought the bar was at...little did I know I had to run 10 blocks to get there. I overshot the bar and had to run back...

The group started late as they were going to run 14 miles...ok, I need to run 10 miles or else my prior engagement with my running speedwork coaching group would get pissed if I was late.

The route, across the Williamsburg Bridge, around Brooklyn and back over from the Brooklyn Bridge. It was a fast group and we started by going against the East River. I knew the route due to the Flyer's long training run 20 miler runs that run through Brooklyn and it was chilly.

The wind was gusting at us pretty hard, but what can you do? Just keep rollin'

Deanna and I did a mini version and cut the distance. We decided to do 10 miles instead of the 14 that they all planned on doing. Although, Deanna had to stop and pee, so we went into different stores and eventually I told her to go to Create and Barrel (Houston and Broadway)...which as a runner you have to know your peeing grounds. Deanna also revealed a little too much information as we hustled our way back to the bar...

Got in, got out as I jogged my way to the 6th street track where after I had hustled over there, no one was there...I decided to do at least one Yasso to see where my body was and get some prediction of where I was at...

Uh! Logged in a 2:59...not good. Ok, due to the temperatures, my conditioning and what not...I'll be ok.

They finally came, little by little as the group surmounted by 6... Ok, groups of two's, three watches and 8-10 repeats later...it was a challenge!

This told me a good scale of where these kids were at and how they could pace themselves...some went out too hard, some looked really comfortable and some felt twinges...we'll see how this speedwork goes...only want the best for these guys!

Found out that I had one of their phones in my bag...opps! So went to return it...later that night they invited me to a bar for some football and wings...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: