2/13/10

21

That is why athletes are important, why records are important. Because they demonstrate the scope of human possibility, which is unlimited. The inconceivable is conceived, and then it is accomplished. Brian Ganville, "The Olympian"


Why twenty one?

I know that I am by far not even close to where I want to be at for the Boston Marathon. I have been feeling very off due to the fact that I have been sick for 3 weeks and have limited myself to a certain mileage during the week and a certain amount of speed when I run. You can certainly feel the amount of output you have during races and you can re-evaluate yourself during these runs to know how you feel…and I have not been feeling at all good or close to 100%.

So where have I been? If I had to re-evaluate myself, I probably was close to 60 to the max 70% of where my fitness should be at. This is not even close to where I want to be at for my personal time goal for the Boston Marathon.

Yes, I continue to be stupid and stubborn and run the races, while sick and not allowing my body to rest. Why? I don’t know. After the Arizona Marathon I was totally drained and probably got sick due to this reason. It really affected me within the last 3 weeks, but there was a good that came out of this sickness.

The good?

The time to rest and allowing my body to recover has brought a good within these three weeks. All my running last year has caused my body too totally erupt…but oh well.

So…21? Well I was supposed to do 20 in my mind. I woke up early to run with the Saturday Morning group run, meeting up with the crew to do a promo for this television show of broadcasting Forest Gump for a certain amount of days. These people contacted our group to ask us various things about running, but they didn’t know how busy Central Park was on a Saturday morning.

My line that they liked?

“Saturday morning runs are like happy hour in the park, you get to see all your friends and socialize, catch up and tell stories of what happened to you during the week” Yup, there isn’t a Saturday morning or a time during the weekend where I would not see any of my friends in Central Park. A simple Hello must happen whenever I go in the park because yes, I try to know everyone. But is that a problem?

After that was done and finished up with the film crew, I saw speedy NC out in Central Park…she is never in Central Park as she told me her story of not at all close to where she wanted to be at for Boston as well. These fast people really are amazing in ways where they qualify on the dime and produce such fast times…dropped her off at 72nd street and rolled on with another loop. Lapped around for 16, where I stopped to take some water and bread, I still felt tired and not at all where I wanted…but continued and lungs were close to ready…Rounded out close to Cat Hill where I saw ST.

ST was another fast gal, whom I write about and run with all the time. She forced… convinced me to run with her for a loop…and at the time, I was pooped, but how can I say no to a run…the mileage was not the issue, it was the pace. She runs fast and it’s hard to run 6 with her on a full tank because she will continue to run with you and push you to your limits. Harlem Hills was where I felt it and I could not hang on, she allowed me to catch up and we continued on till West 72nd where I had to bail and tell her that I would meet her on the other side. I stopped caught my breath and did some squats, walked and did some more squats.

Karma

As I was doing squats after poet row, I saw this gal reach into her pocket and pulled out her ipod, in that process she dropped some papered items. I didn’t care much for it at the time and didn’t want to bother her, since she looked like she was in the zone. As I walked and saw what she had dropped, I saw that it was her metro card and train ticket, I quickly ran back after her to give back her items. She thanked me and then I ran off again, catching ST and explaining the whole situation to her.

After we walked back to her street on 72nd, I ran home…rounding my run to 21+ for the day. Pooped and close to done, I relaxed for the rest of the day and video conference with GW about Flyers stuff.

No comments: