3/30/10

Monday Group Run

Winning has nothing to do with racing. Most days don't have races anyway. Winning is about struggle and effort and optimism, and never, ever, ever giving up. Amby Burfoot, The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life

So yesterday I ran to work...nothing really exciting there although I may be getting into people's ways as I sometimes bump into them pretty often...but hopefully not interrupting their daily day in a huge way...

Ever believe in that?

How big of an impact you have on another person's life in a day? What little changes you make that makes a person's mood change or what kind of an impact you have?

Anyways, after work on the group run, I had a pretty strenuous day at work. The fog rolled in on the Hudson River as the colder water and warmer air caused it to fog up as it floated down stream.

Our group run consisted of 4 people as there was the senior group that went out to do a 6 miler and a new person that showed up and I ran a 5. It was at a moderate slower pace, which I needed for the day. I was going to opt to not even run if it was all senior runners out there that already knew the course because I could feel a little twinge in my leg (near my groinal area).

I think I took a huge chunk of zest from my running this weekend and I need to recover from the fast pace practice run that I had in Boston...yes, I am really going for a Sub 3... So maybe, just maybe I can be in the "elites" as a status...but if not, it's quite alright...I just run for fun anyways.

So yes, there was a new person that made me run...or I chose to run along with her. No worries there because I was the group leader and I needed to do my job! It was really fun...

As a new person comes to these group events and runs, you want them to feel as comfortable as possible. I learned from my own experience as a beginner runner and a new flyer...who helped me and how did I become friends with some people? I started going to group runs...I didn't know anyone at the Flyer's awards party 4 years ago...John Ward introduced me to many flyers at the awards party and he won the award that year!

Anyways, we had a nice 5 mile stroll and I tried to give her the usual speal that I give everyone about our club, the plus's of course and not just running..social, volunteerism, contacts, etc...

Well...hope she comes for next week's run...
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: