9/7/10

Seeking runners in the New York City area for a PAID study!

Racing teaches us to challenge ourselves. It teaches us to push beyond where we thought we could go. It helps us to find out what we are made of. This is what we do. This is what it's all about. PattiSue Plumer, U.S. Olympian

Seeking runners in the New York City area for a PAID study!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/etc/1940599964.html

International design and innovation firm IDEO (www.ideo.com) is seeking runners in the greater New York City area for individual interviews September 16th or 17th. Interviews will take place in your home and will last approximately 1.5 hours. Photo and video will be used for our internal use only and you will receive $150 for your time.

We are interested in speaking with you if you fit any of the following:
• You are a trainer or coach who works regularly with new and novice runners
• You are a new runner who will only purchase technical gear for running and has had running analysis done or worked with a podiatrist
• You are someone who runs to get to/from work
• You are someone who very visibly and intentionally “dresses” for running
• You are someone who dresses uniquely for races and competitions
• You are someone who modifies their athletic clothing or shoes
• You are someone who is experiencing a running injury that’s stopped them from running
• You are a barefoot runner or someone who only runs wearing Vibrams
• You are someone who practices parkour or “free” running or teaches others
• You are a wellness or holistic fitness coach
• You are a high school track - sprint runner (We must have parental permission if you are under 18 yrs old)

If interested, please respond to Maria at mnorelli@ideo.com with the following information:

Which of the profiles above do you fit and why (please be detailed)?

Name
Phone
Location
Occupation
Age

How often do you run?

Why do you run?

What other fitness activities are you involved in?

My answers:

Hey Maria,

I recently saw or was passed along this message by Craigslist and am interested in your interview process...

Let's see, the list that fits me are the following:

• You are a coach who works regularly with new and novice runners

I currently coach for Team for Kids (NYRR Youth Services) and a NYRR Official Charity that I started up called: The Alzheimer's Associaiton (Run to Remember)

• You are someone who runs to get to/from work

I use to run to and from work from 60th street and 1st to 13th and 8th, totaling about 3.5 miles one way and back totaling 6-7 miles, each day (given one or two days off, for days of rest)

I got laid off from my architecture job and recently got employed by a friend (started up his t-shirt business called: Out of Pring Clothing - www.outofprintclothing.com), where the factory is located at Sunset Park, Brooklyn...exactly 10 miles away from my house. I run to work, ride the subway back home.

• You are someone who very visibly and intentionally “dresses” for running

People say that I am "flashy" when I run. I usually am identified by my bandanna (of any color) in practices and my American flag bandanna during races. I also maybe wearing a compression leg sleeve on my left side during competitions, but that's on occasion because of some achilies injuries...also my right leg has a large tattoo...

• You are someone who dresses uniquely for races and competitions

I occasionally dress up for special races. many of my team members from the NY Flyers would know me for my "speedo, underwear or skirt" running during special occasional runs: Natica Underwear run, Scotland 5 Miler and Boston's Santa Speedo Run. I am pretty secure with my body...and when I came back from Hawaii, I uniquely acquired a Tahitian look with a sarong for guys called the Lava Lava.

• You are someone who modifies their athletic clothing or shoes

You sometimes need to when you are running in the snow for seasonal changes. During the winter time, many runners put screws in their older shoes for traction on the snow. This is pretty much not unique.

• You are a barefoot runner or someone who only runs wearing Vibrams

I believe that wearing Vibrams is only good for strengthening. yes, i believe in minimalism running, although with the big boom of the book born to run, I believe that when he says run barefoot, he means run on softer surfaces and trails...roads and hard surfaces are not really great for running.

• You are someone who practices park our or “free” running or teaches others

what is "free" running? and what is park?

• You are a high school track - sprint runner (We must have parental permission if you are under 18 yrs old)

I am not in high school, although when I was in high school I was a sprinter...that later on turned into a marathon runner...


Which of the profiles above do you fit and why (please be detailed)?

Name - Brian Hsia
Phone - 914.417.1141
Location - 60th and 1st (Manhattan)
Occupation - Post-Architect, now unemployed: Coaching for two teams, part time work with NYRR and factory shipper
Age - 29

How often do you run?

Saturday - Wednesday. It really varies from season to season. During the NYC Marathon or Fall Season, the schedule goes to coaching other people and your legs run from Saturday to Wednesday or monday-wednesday (sometimes Thursday) with Friday rest and then the Weekends back to back long runs. When it is your time to coach beginner runners, your training has to change from yourself to others. You need to understand that the winter/spring season is for yourself, but when you are a coach the season belongs to others for practices only.

I run to work to get my fitness in and get my stride/own workout. So on Monday's and Wednesday's I can run a total of about 16-20 miles for the day.

Why do you run?

I run because it's a huge stress reliever. Especially in a large city like NYC and the NY minute, stress can build up and people's tensions can be so tight that you can go crazy. Running is the only time where you are free from a cell phone, internet, people and your thoughts are your own. You can simply turn off your brain and be by yourself, listening to the wind at your ears and enjoy the sights and nature around you.

What other fitness activities are you involved in?

Not many other activities, especially when your coaching career takes over. I use to play Ultimate Frisbee, try to swim and bike (which are my next things to get into for a triathlon)


2 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for the heads up on this!

steve said...

Hi There.
I would put this in an email, but I don’t know how to email you. In any case, I’m the owner of NYCRUNS.COM and I really like your stuff, and would like to talk to you about republishing some of your content. Could you please email me at steve@nycruns.com?
Thanks
Steve