8/24/11

The day after

I literally went to the bathroom after I finished the race. I was exhausted and tired and couldn't believe that I had gotten 3rd place in my first 100 miler Ultra marathon...seriously in between these 3-5 accomplished elite runners and what I call "gods" of running, it's absolutely amazing!Really, these guys have gone to the race they call Badwater. This is my ultimate goal as a runner, a little insanity, but still it's one of those things you want to do in your life as a "runner". Almost a bucket list for runners...

Anyways, I met up with Sam (the race director) in the bathroom and said to him that I had finished. He couldn't believe it...he asked me which race I was actually doing the 24 hour race of 100 miler? I told him that I was doing the 100 miler and that I completed it. I told him that I was fighting off Iris (the swiss miss) and that I got 3rd place.

He was astonished a bit...even baffled. He told me that I might have won the 100 miler race. I was like...no way...seriously, no way...I got 3rd, because the other two guys were leading the entire way (at least 8 miles ahead of me)...no way I got 1st place...I saw them coming back about 4 miles on the switch back...ON THE LAST 12 MILES!

It was literally impossible!


I then walked over and he was really determined that I had won. He said that the first guy Valdimir, had not come in yet and he confirmed this with his family walking over. I was like...umm...no....seriously...

Then I knew that Iris was about a mile away from me as she came whizzing in. She crossed the finish line...in 2nd place...as then now I was in first place...

No seriously guys...seriously!

Sam then said that he could then "unofficially" officially confirm that I was the first one in and that I had officially won the race...

I couldn't believe it. Really, I couldn't believe it at all. I was in utter shock. It really didn't sink in much. I'm not very ecstatic really because in some sort of way I felt as though I didn't play the game right. See, I did, but not really. I played the smarter game which was let these guys battle it out so hard (supposing ly these two guys were two returning champions - one of them in the Summer and one of them during the winter) that they were trying to go sub 15 hours on this race...and they both were "hungry" for the win against each other. I was just lucky enough to spoil the riches and let both of them inplode on each other and take the "win" from both of them in the end...

See the first two guys in the race led the race for the entire 3 laps (75 miles) of the race.


So...it was the last lap that I had actually beaten them (actually it was the last 12 miles that I had beaten them...one dropped at 7 miles to go and the other...3 miles to go. I never really noticed both of them because it was dark out (3 or 4 am) and I had thought they were other competitors just walking...and I knew these guys would not be walking in the last lap (let alone the final 12 miles! - these guys are more hard core than I am!)

Anyways...

After the "first" place guy (Valdimir) came "in" in 3rd place and then my race buddy Kay came in 4th place and finally, the 2nd guy, came in 5th place overall...It finally hit me that I "won"...

The rain started coming down right after I finished the race, I tried to save everyone's stuff by putting it in more center to the tent. Uh! Then tried to save other people's sneakers from the rain as people had their items out all over...

I donno, I almost killed myself by doing that, but I had a hard time going to the car and actually getting my items to take a shower. Even that was tough!


Think soreness after a marathon times 4! Seriously...

I had to wait for the crew afterwards and kept myself occupied by congratulating other runners as they came in. I even tried to volunteer to go up to the midway station to help out other runners...I needed to keep busy, because they were going to be a while and their estimated time of arrival was 2 pm...that's 10 hours from when I had finished. (Which I had though was going to be faster, but they were not going to go any faster!). But no worries, I was no longer out there as I was pretty much distraught. I really couldn't comprehend anything at that point and kept busy by just lying on the park picnic table, switching the car parking spot a few times, eating and just talking to people...10 hours went by pretty quickly! Take their time...as both jackies hated me for finishing so early and they had to go back out there to finish their 4 and final lap...they couldn't believe I had one and they found out from others that I had one the race as other people saw that I had passed the two front guys!

Uh! Still in awe! Still can not comprehend that I not only just wanted to finish my first 100 miler. But in the end, I just wanted to get 3rd place and fought for it...but in reality, I had won the race! Let alone against such amazing competition from amazing accomplished, "elite" ultra runners!

I am humbled! Lucky and still amazed of their accomplishments...the top 5 people has such amazing running resume's, to be even mentioned in the same sentence is just baffling!

This was truthfully a run to remember!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

2 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

Congratulations Brian... Way to go!!! Awesome; I am speechless.

dinals said...

you're awesome and so humble :)